Thursday, January 01, 2009

JIM BLANNING. GOODBYE ASSHOLE!!!

James (Jim) Blanning is responsible for fucking up New Years Eve in Aspen Colorado. He tried to blow up some banks and then shot himself outside of town.
I worked as a lift operator on Aspen Mountain from 1972 to 1976. A bunch of us lived at the “Bunkhouse” on top of Aspen Mountain at an elevation of 11,212 feet. We worked six days a week and got one night in town. We got up early to start the lifts from the top. He’s what I recall of Jim Blanning from a detailed journal that I kept from all four seasons that I was there.


April 5, 1974 8:30 A.M.

What a party we had last night! Some people came up in an old snow-cat and ended up having dinner with us. Three guys and two chicks and they were all beautiful. Jim Blanning was the driver and I’d met him earlier in the day. Paul used to cook at Toro’s. Very quiet, but interesting. Frank practiced law for five years and gave it up to shovel snow for people and become a ski bum. Jeannie was very sexy and helped me out with dinner. Can’t remember the other girls name…I think it was Mary. They were all very nice people.
Since we were out of food, I didn’t know what to fix. We had everything for enchiladas and burritos except cheese and we got that from the Sundeck Restaurant. Never in my life have I had such compliments on a meal and I even rated a toast!
They stayed until 10:30 P.M. and skied down by the light of a full moon. Bruce (a roomie of mine at the bunkhouse) followed them down part-way on the ski-doo. (The Ski Patrol’s ski-doo.)
Dan and I were talking after everyone left when I notice lift #3 was running. I grabbed my coat and ran out to turn it off. I was really pissed! After I came back in, Rob came in and told me he had turned it on. I explained I couldn’t handle any more shit like that! Hope nothing is said because I just don’t want the hassle. We also made it clear to our visitors that they were most welcome anytime. [We had been caught running the lifts at night and skiing. Muy verboten!!!]

9:30 A.M.

So far – so good. Charlie’s (Charlie Maddalone, the mountain manager) in a good mood except he claims the dood with the snow-cat tore up the mountain.
I almost forgot to mention this, but there was another guy at the party named Jeff. He’s in his late 20’s and has a hunky football type build. From what I could gather, he works out with weights. Very sexy!!
Bill skied down with them last night since it was his night off anyway and said they all went walking into the Aspen Inn with their skis. I’m really glad everyone had such a good time! We discussed many subjects intelligently and these people were full of love for life and chuck full of enthusiasm. My kind of people!

April 6, 1974 1:00 A.M.

Don’t know why I’m trying to write this down now as morning will be hell as it is. Jim Blanning came up with is friends on a couple of ski-doos. To top it off, they were all drunk and on mescaline. They literally tore the place apart, acted like cretins and took complete advantage of us. All the guys were hunky and the chicks were knock outs and they all fucked each other on our beds. One couple pulled the valve open on my waterbed and there was an inch of water in the liner. The bed could even be leaking. I unplugged the heater and I’m sleeping on Bruce’s blankets.
Bruce ordered steaks from Tom’s Market and they arrived yesterday. He’s the one who invited them and he isn’t even here! He’ll catch it from all of us tomorrow. Charlie Maddalone will find out too. This party will be the talk of the town for a awhile. My kind of people. HA!!!!

8:30 A.M.

Morning has come and I’m still bummed out! I think I’ll get a group together and have a surprise party at Jim Blanning’s house!
Paul, the cook from Toro’s, was the first one up last night and he helped tremendously with the meal. We were not pleased when so many people showed up! We were going to have a nice quiet meal with Paul. They showed up with a case of Peppermint Schnapps and Lord only knows how many of them were fucked up on mescaline. It gave me an inside look at how the “beautiful people” behave and I want no part of it! While Paul and I were fixing dinner, a couple of them were eyeing my waterbed and they invited me in for a three-some. After that all hell broke loose and they took over our bedrooms.
When dinner was ready, everyone was fucking so Bill, Paul, Dan and I started eating. When the rest came out they ate, but weren’t even tasting it, they were so fucked up! One of the people there was a city councilman and head coach at Aspen High. Peter something. He’s Italian, I think.

10:30 P.M.

Got back at the Blanning fucker! I knew the whole thing would get around town so I decided to tell Larry (the lift manager) all the sordid details before he heard it second hand. It seems Blanning didn’t have permission to be up here and he got in a shitload of trouble. He was pissed and told me off. I told him that’s what comes from fucking us over.

April 7, 1974 8:20 P.M.

Talked with Charlie Maddalone about that fucker Blanning. Guess his claim de fame is cheating people out of mining claims. I told Charlie the whole story. He patted me on the back and said, “Don’t worry, Alan. We love you.” I believe he meant it too.

No comments: